Founded in 2015, Manchester Global Foundation (MGF) is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation registered in England and Wales, whose main sector of intervention is global health. MGF’s vision is to address global health inequalities and contribute to their improvement. Our mission is to provide technical assistance and advisory services in global health, humanitarian and development programmes to improve the health and wellbeing of communities around the world – including in the UK. We support the public benefit by advancing the health and survival of poor and vulnerable communities in low and middle-income countries, and socially deprived communities in the Greater Manchester area. Our motto, Local Impact, Global Change, summarises our belief that sound interventions at local level will eventually contribute to broader improvements in global health worldwide.
Use evidence-based approaches
Focus on people
Establish and nurture partnerships
We aim to achieve our objective through a range of activities, including the following:
- Providing health volunteers and other technical experts in medicine, nursing, midwifery, dentistry and other health professions, from Greater Manchester and beyond, to build the capacity of health institutions in low and middle-income countries through teaching, training, and knowledge sharing; as well as providing curative and preventive services;
- Supporting the conduct of medical and health research through collaboration between Greater Manchester and low and middle income countries, aimed at generating innovative solutions to the problems of healthcare provision in resource poor settings;
- Providing grants, equipment and supplies for preventing and relieving sickness and disease, mitigating the risk of death and disability as a consequence of catastrophe, and promoting health;
- Advancing the education of health students and practitioners from Greater Manchester in conjunction with the University of Manchester, by facilitating the development of their individual capabilities, competences, understanding, and skills through learning and training attachments in low and middle-income countries.
In addition to these charitable activities, through its business arm Manchester Global Foundation provides quality consultancy and advisory services to a wide range of clients, nationally and internationally. Income generated through the business arm is then used to support our philanthropic activities.
Our key areas of expertise and advice are:
- Leadership and Policy;
- Programme Design, Monitoring, and Implementation;
- Research, Evaluation, and Learning.
Our people are our main asset. We can count on a team of passionate and competent consultants and advisors with many years of experience in the promotion of global health. Among us there are university professors and academic researchers, health practitioners, managers and strategists, as well as experts in international development and humanitarian assistance. Cumulatively, our consultants and advisors have worked in over 35 different countries in all five continents – and we expect this figure to keep growing.